Model Kit – Monogram Peterbilt 359 1/16 scale

I do mostly figure painting, but I do a little bit of building models as well. To be honest, I could do without the building part, but I enjoy the painting and finishing.

There is a local model kit show coming up in a few weeks on October 25th, so I was planning on finishing a model for that. I chose one of the kits that I won at the raffle earlier this year. It’s a Monogram Peterbilt 359 in 1/16 scale. It’s actually a very nice raffle prize – I looked around online and the cheapest I have found is around $100.

peterbilt

Naturally, I am not planning on making it that ugly orange and red ;) I started building it last week. I have the bottom frame finished, but still have a long, long way to go in the building.

I was wanting to give it a cool paintjob, and so I was thinking that using some sort of candy paint would look cool. I have already used the Spaz Stix airbrush paint for chrome effect, and so I got some more paints of that brand. Actually, those were not very easy to find. I contacted the spaz stix company to find some sellers of the airbrush versions of their paints, and they said they are not ordering any new airbrush ones right now, and are debating whether to discontinue that line alltogether. Apparantly, the airbrush versions are not selling as well as the aerosol ones. In either case, I was able to find a couple of sellers on e-bay that had them. I received the first one today – Spaz Stix Candy Red Apple.

So, I set out to do some testing. I used the standard ‘spoon method’. I used the Mirror Chrome as a backer. Here’s some pictures:

First I applied the black backer. I used different methods. On one I sprayed several thin layer to build up the shine, on another I applied all the paint in one sitting, and the third was somewhere in between. In the end, the three spoons were indistinguishable from each other.

spoons1

I let them sit in the food dehydrator for an hour or so to dry. Then I applied the chrome finish. Again, I used different method for the different spoons. These are more different from each other. From left to right: 1- just one thin layer of chrome, with some of the black still visible. 2 – two fairly thin layer of chrome. 3 – several thin layers of chrome. When you apply too much chrome the shininess will go away, and I think that happened somewhat on #3. Just using a very light coat like in #1 looks most shiny to the eye, but it is also darker. As always, it’s almost impossible to get good pictures of shiny objects…

spoons2

My next step was to spray on the actual candy paint. For this I used these methods, from left to right:
1. One thick coat of candy paint
2. About 3 thin layers of paint, with 10 or so minutes drying time in between
3. Just a couple of thinner coats.
4. Several layers applied to a spoon without chrome

spoons3

#1 and #2 are very similar. #1 is a bit darker and a bit shinier – I think that’s because I applied it on the darker, shinier chrome. #3 is more pink looking and not nearly as shiny (it’s hard to tell in the picture). And naturally #4 is very different.

#1 and #2 are actually pretty shiny. They would look ok as-is on a model. I also ordered some clear coat to applied on top, but I have not received that yet. In addition, I ordered a silver backer paint. It is made to go under the candy paint, unlike the chrome, and from what I read, it will give a slightly different result. I also ordered some gold paint, that I read somewhere you can put under the red to give it a different look. The last paint I got was a candy blue. All those should arrive later in the week, so I will need to do some more experimenting then. So far I’m impressed by the candy paints. Looks so much richer than a flat paint. Though it might look a bit out of place on a big truck… :)

 

About

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>